The Newark Anti-violence Coalition operates around five key demands:
1. The dismissal of police director McCarthy, replacing him with a community policing minded director
2. Declaring street violence a public health emergency and marshalling all the appropriate parties to bring the proper resources to bear to address it
3. A meaningful jobs program, including the proper enforcement of existing mandates requiring Newark residents to a certain percentage of work in this city
4. Enforcement of the Amistad Bill in Newark schools, requiring the proper teaching of the Black and Latino history in the schools
5. For street organizations or so called gangs to put their guns down & an establish an effective treaty with the community’s legitimate support.